Achari baingan is a popular Indian dish that is prepared with small eggplants, which are known as baingan in Hindi. Look at the quick recipe of Achari baingan:
Achari baingan Ingredients
The main ingredients for this recipe include:
- mustard oil,
- a unique blend of spices including fenugreek seeds,
- cumin seeds,
- nigella seeds (kalonji),
- red chilli powder,
- coriander powder, and
- garam masala
Step By Step Achari baingan Instant Recipe
- In a pressure cooker, add in 1/4 cup of oil and heat it on medium flame. Once the oil is hot, add in 2 teaspoons of cumin (jeera) and 1 teaspoon of fennel (saunf). Roast for 30-40 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add in the chopped onions, 1 teaspoon of ginger (adrak) and garlic (lehsun) paste. Fry until the onions turn light brown.
- Now add in 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder, turmeric (haldi), coriander powder (dhania powder), a pinch of garam masala and a pinch of dry mango powder (amchur). Fry for 2-3 minutes or until the masala starts to leave oil.
- Now add in the baingan/eggplant and mix it with the spice mix. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add 1/2 cup of water, close and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, open the lid and mash the baingan with a potato masher or spoon. Taste and adjust seasonings if required.
- To finish off the Achari Baingan, add 1 tablespoon of ghee (optional), kasuri methi and chopped coriander leaves. Mix everything well together and serve with roti, naan or paratha. Enjoy!
Achari Baingan Trivia
- Baingan is also known as, eggplant (baingan) and mixing it with tomato, onion, herbs and spices.
- The dish has several regional names, such as, baingan ka bharta (Hindi: बैंगन का भरता), ringan no oro (Gujarati: રીંગણનો ઓળો), pura begena satoni (Assamese: পুৰা বেঙেনা চাটনি) or bengena pitika (Assamese: বেঙেনা পিটিকা), wangyacha bharit (Marathi: वांग्याचं भरीत), ennegayi (Kannada: ಎಣ್ಣೆಗಾಯಿ), baigana bhartta (Odia: ବାଇଗଣ ଭର୍ତ୍ତା), begun bhôrta (Bengali: বেগুন ভর্তা), and many more.